Friday, February 25, 2011

A cause for pause . . .

I am now FINALLY getting started with my running. I, of course, am feeling anxious to do some training and so forth, but my first task is building up my running slowly. I have gone out three times now, running/walking 3 miles. My goal is to get back to running 3 miles straight, since that was my "easy run" distance before, and a good starting point in working towards my goals. I am also focusing on my stride, trying to get back to the mid foot strike that I started developing towards the end of my running last time. Which brings me to my not so recent interest . . .

I remember several years back reading an article in Men's Fitness about the Tarahumara tribe in Mexico, who have these ridiculously long runs in nothing but these homemade sandals made of old tires strapped to the bottom of their feet. I think the article was actually about the book Born to Run, which is about a runner who spent time with them, learning their ways, etc. I thought, "How different from everything I've ever heard about running . . . I love it! But is it just a fad?"



A year or so later, during the fall of 2006, while a good friend was visiting from Mexico, we took a road trip up to the Grand Canyon. In Williams, we encountered three runners on their way to run the Grand Canyon. Go ahead and reread that to make sure you read it right. Yep! They were going to run the Grand Canyon. South rim to north rim to south rim. Their car had broken down, but that wasn't going to stop them. They squeezed in the back of our little Honda Accord along with our friend - four adults in the back! (Now that I think about it, I should have forced my way to sit back there so she didn't . . . oh, well.) I quickly noticed those weird glove shoes that I had briefly seen in that article strapped to one of their backpacks. His name was Ted. "Barefoot Ted." And he quickly answered all the questions I had. Turned out he has quite a blog and plays his part in promoting barefoot running - barefotted.com (and now also borntorun.org). His running partners just chuckled and rolled their eyes as he got very excited talking about the whole barefoot running phenomenon. (see his post) I, of course came home and started researching this "radical" idea of running without super cushioned shoes . . . Here's a picture of Barefoot Ted on his Grand Canyon adventure.



A year later I started running and was still fascinated with the idea, though this stint was short lived as I soon became pregnant. Fast forward almost two years and I started actually running and training for my first half marathon. The idea of barefoot running had blossomed and was starting to get more attention . . . I decided that I wanted to get a good base in running before trying something new, but it kept nagging at me, especially as I dealt with shin splints, which often comes from heel striking. Now that I'm training again, I can't get it out of my head. What once seemed like a totally radical idea has started becoming more accepted by the running world. This year I had several students in cross country who all wear those barefoot shoes, and almost every major running shoe company now has their version of minimal or "barefoot" running shoes. Harvard did a study. When I go out running on the river walk, I see at least one person doing it . . . Is this just a fad? Or a revolution?

So here's the theory behind why we should get rid of our cushy running shoes and go more minimal. First of all, humans have run for thousands of years without these fancy shoes. In fact, they came about only in the 1970's. The idea is that since the heel is raised in traditional running shoes, it causes runners to land on their heel, rather than on the ball of their foot, or both together. (75% of traditional running shoe wearers land on their heels.) This causes the shock of contact to travel up the skeleton. When one lands on the ball of their foot, it absorbs the shock instead. Check out these videos (and this website) to see what I mean . . . Harvard - Biomechanics of a Foot Strike

And here's a video of a runner who was given no instructions but to run - once wearing shoes, once just in socks.

As I've mulled over this idea in my head, I've started watching kids feet when they run, since they haven't been taught how to run, and they don't wear fancy shoes. They all land mid or forefoot. People who have never worn shoes to run in their whole lives naturally land in the mid or forefoot. It just makes sense. I tend to gravitate towards ideas that fit with the "why mess with it if it works" mentality. I feel that while modern technology is wonderful, sometimes we mess with stuff too much. But I digress . . .



I also can't get the stories out of my head. While, like any new sport, it has to be eased into slowly, since it uses muscles that haven't been used in a while, it strengthens the foot and ankles. I have read story and story of people who eased into running in "barefoot" shoes and have most of their injuries go away because they ware running in a way that is easier on their body. I mean, why do we accept that shin splint, plantar fasciitis, "runners knee," etc. are all just part of the territory of running? Even as I feel twinges in my shins, I concentrate on having a midfoot strike, and it goes away. "Barefoot running" just makes sense, as radical as it may seem to our modern minds, and I just can't get the idea out of my head. Now is it for everyone? Probably not, as I think most things aren't one size fits all. But it is definitely reshaping our understanding of probably the oldest sport.

The shoe that is probably most popular in this whole revolution, as I've decided to call it, is the Vibram Fivefinger. It looks so silly. Seriously. I went and tried on a pair of Sprints, which were pretty comfortable, and are made as a kind of all purpose Fivefinger. But then I started reading about their newer Bikila shoe, which is specific to running. I tried it on. I can honestly say it is the most comfortable thing I have ever put on my feet. Silly looking, but sooo comfortable.



And so . . . as soon as I can find a decent deal on them (I check the internet and ebay everyday), and maybe sell something for the cash, I will be a proud owner. I don't plan on running in them every time, but like so many people that start out with that thought, I will probably become hooked.

(These are the ones I like the most - kind of cooler looking than their counter part, and I like the added adjustment laces give.)

1 comment:

  1. Here's a good article on good running tips:
    http://www.active.com/women/Articles/5-Elements-of-Chi-Running.htm

    Here's a video showing one explanation on how to strike in the middle of your foot rather than your heel: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H26liWMDH8U

    ReplyDelete