Monday, January 25, 2010

Keep on truckin'

This week has started well for me, and there are two things that are keeping me going right now . . .

First is a new plan to get back on schedule with my running despite my shin splints. I found a great website that had suggestions of how to get rid of shin splints while continuing to run. (http://www.watfxc.com/TF/TF%20Education/shin_splints.htm) It makes sense to me to keep running, because not running doesn't fix the problem when it's related to muscles and tendons not being strong and elastic enough for the amount of running being done.

Here's the plan:
1 Ibuprofen 1 hour before the run to reduce inflammation
Heat the problem areas before the run (I soaked my calves in the hot tub at the gym for 5 minutes)
Warm up (brisk walk/easy jog)for 5 minutes
Stretch
Do your run
Do a cool down mile (haha! I translate this to 5 minutes of light jogging/brisk walking)
Stretch
Ice the problem area

I tried this tonight. It was awesome! I ran 4 1/2 miles at higher speeds than I usually do on the treadmill. And I felt a little pain during the first mile only. Even now, I don't feel anything and it's been 6 hours since my Ibuprofen. I usually run longer distances on the treadmill at level 5. Tonight I ran the first mile at level 5.2, the second at 5.3, the third at 5.4, the next 1/2 mile at 5.6, and then eased back down during the last 1/2 mile. (Plus warm up and cool down.) Sweet! And I was able to just enjoy running again, without the frustration at my legs.

The second thing keeping me going is the incredible people around me. I am so motivated by hearing what people around me are doing to become more healthy. My sisters are making goals and exercising more. My mom is exercising and keeping her calories in check. One of my co-workers actually gets up at 4:30am to exercise before her kids wake up and she has to go to work. And my awesome hubby is doing incredible with his exercise and goals. When I hear about other people exercising and working past whatever stands in their way, I feel like I can do it too. So, thanks to all of you who keep me going.

Today's lesson learned: Clip your toe nails before running 4 miles. There was a war going on in my shoes between my toes. Ouch.

No comments:

Post a Comment