Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Road to Re-motivation

So, last week I didn't run. I did go to the gym once to lift weights, but mostly didn't do anything because of my shin splints. I did a little research and this is the best site I found that gave a basic understanding: http://www.thestretchinghandbook.com/archives/shin-splints.php Stretching really well and often as well as warming up properly are the biggest things I should have and need to be doing. And ultimately, as I talked to others I know who have dealt with shin splints - I need new shoes. I really like my shoes, but apparently my body does not. And I do remember when I first put them on feeling as though they made my stride move more into my arch than usual. So, the shoe journey begins . . . later this week when I have time to go to some stores.

Mean while, I have to do something because I don't want to lose what I've accomplished so far. My shins were feeling better, so I tried running on the treadmill yesterday with nothing but shooting pain. I then moved on to my old college favorite - The Elliptical Machine. While I really don't feel like they work me as well as running, I was able to go 3 miles in 30 minutes, burning around 300 calories. So, all was not lost. And my legs didn't hate me afterward. I guess this machine will have to be my friend until I get new shoes. And I'll have to get new shoes soon because I am starting to loose that excitement for running and dreading having to work back up to 7 miles again.

My husband and I have finally found a really good exercise schedule that works for both of us. Mondays and Wednesdays we run. We were doing 5 miles each day and were ready to move up to 6 before my legs revolted. Then every other Saturday we do a long run, adding a mile each time. This is how we worked up to 7 miles. (Let me remind you here that we started out running 1 minute, walking 1 minute. And so on until we find ourselves here.) On the off Saturdays, we do sprints (run as hard as you can for a short distance and then walk back, and repeat and repeat). On the non-running days, we do a short run (1 miles or so) and then hit the weights or do other cross training. Eventually I'd like to run a little more on these days as well but not as much as the Monday and Wednesday runs.

What I love about this schedule is there are a few days with harder and specific goals to be met. On the other days the goal is to go do something. So, if I go into the gym and do something, I'm on track. And if I go into the gym, I'll end up doing more than I planned anyway. It gives flexibility to weeks where a running day is booked, so I can swap days, etc. Plus, I know that I have at least one day before I have to run hard again. And lastly, my heart and body can recoup a little so my next hard run will be successful.

Today we lifted weights and did lunges, etc. while watching The Biggest Loser. We were successful, but the best part was watching Simeon trying to imitate us. When we did lunges, he ran a step or two forward and then back. He laid on the ground next to Daddy and bench pressed his balloons. And my favorite was when he saw Cruz using his hand grips, he ran into the kitchen and came out with the can opener, opening and closing it like Daddy was doing to his hand grips. So cute! And really motivating. I was never interested in exercise as a kid and seeing his excitement to participate with us helps me remember some of the bigger reasons I want to become more healthy. I want healthy kids who respect and take care of their bodies. And I want to be able to keep up with them even into my old age. I'm always motivated when I see fit, hot women at the gym who are in their 50's and 60's and I think, "I want to be that woman." And I know I've got to start now.

2 comments:

  1. Wow, you are my hero. I have been losing a ton of weight up here, apparently having a life makes me forget to eat, but I have been really wanting to get into some exercise routine. I can't run 7 miles, that woulod kill me fibro bones, but I am going to just walk up and down that stairs for five minutes and bump it up a minute a day. I also am going to start doing wither yoga or pilates. We had a FHE where we did yoga and it was so relaxing and I actually found myself feeling refreshed from the stretches and not in intense pain, like I am always worried about with my fibromyalgia.

    Anyway... I want to be just like my RayRay!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here's another great website about shin splints: http://www.watfxc.com/TF/TF%20Education/shin_splints.htm

    ReplyDelete