Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Keep running, but you won't knock down our wall . . .

(yes - a reference to VeggieTales)

Well, the countdown continues. Last week I had my awesome run. Then, two days later, I went to the gym and decided I'd rather get 4 miles over with faster, so I ran the first two as 11 minute miles and the second two as 10 minute miles. That was tough! And I felt great afterward., The downside? I now know what gives me shin splints. It's not longer runs. It's faster runs. So, I have been dealing with shin splints again. They're not really bad, but I can't just rest since I don't want to not run for two weeks and then run 13.1 miles.

I went to Spin on Monday. It was an awesome class! Lots of hills, including an 18 minute hill to Ravel's Bolero. I LOVE that piece, and it was perfect for a long climb. I took yesterday off, and my shins are . . . there. They are still sore, but not awful. The hard thing is this is my last chance for any hard work, since I need to taper my running the week before the race. My plan is to do a long run today, with 8-9 miles. Then, since I'm leaving for Flagstaff tomorrow, I will run at least once there, but no more than 6 miles. I figure it'll be good for me since the elevation will give me a great cardio workout without having to log as many miles. Then next week is a few short runs of 2-3 miles each. Then, Saturday is the big day!

I am so excited to run this half marathon! I am also excited to start fresh after I recover. I want to back it off and work my miles and speed up slowly so I can get it up without shin splints. The rule of thumb is no more than 10% harder than the week before. That's where I originally when wrong. Then, I pushed it too hard after each injury. I felt the pressure of the race coming and my listened to my desire to run hard and long instead of easing into it. Thank goodness for fresh starts!

My pampering plan for after the Half Marathon? After a day or two, my plan is to get a pedicure and get rid of all this dead "blister skin." (Sorry for the mental image!) A fresh start all around!

2 comments:

  1. You're so hardcore! I bought running shoes, and mostly I've just gone for long walks in them. I have still never had a pedicure, but it sounds like a treat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome! (This must be my old 110 partner in crime?) And yes, pedicures are wonderful. Especially if you get one while sitting in a message chair.

    ReplyDelete