Friday, April 2, 2010

Life's funny sometimes . . .

I went out running today. I did my "long run" on Wednesday. Today was Cruz's day. And he did an awesome job! Twelve miles. Seriously. He rocks! We went to Reid Park, and I took Simeon in his running stroller today so Cruz could really run. I don't usually run with the stroller. My plan was a definite 3 miles, but probably 6 miles. That was my plan, but then again, life is funny sometimes.

The first half mile, as usual, was difficult. I started to finally get in a groove, but it was really hard to run correctly while pushing the stroller. I don't know what I was doing differently, but everything felt wrong. And my left shin started to ache just a tad. I kept going, since this isn't that uncommon at the beginning of my runs. But instead of going away, it become more prominent. So, I walked a bit. All this while Simeon continued to whine because he wanted out of his stroller. I tried a few more times to run, but the twinge was still there. I was so tempted to run anyway, just in spite of my legs, but I knew I couldn't afford getting injured this close to our half marathon. So I walked the rest of the way.

Simeon continued whining. And he is usually happy in his stroller, waving at all the dogs we pass and just looking around. Frustrated, I decided to just finish the 3 mile lap by walking and then leave. When we got to the car, Simeon threw a big fit about going into car and I couldn't figure out why he was fighting everything so much until I stopped and listened. When he was crying "Run! Run!" He wasn't talking about me. He was talking about himself. I think when we said we were going to go run, he was including himself in that equation. That's why he was so whiny the whole time. So, I loaded everything up in the car and then took him back over to the track.

And we ran. He LOVED it! We were at the part of the trail along Broadway, where there's a little dirt path that goes up on a hill under big pine trees. He just loved running next to Mommy and checking things out. He kept pointing out other people who were running, too. I realized that while my run today didn't go well, just going out to run day after day, and being around other people who are running, walking, biking, and blading has helped instill a desire to do these things, too. He and I trotted along for almost half a mile, with him prodding me each time I started walking with an encouraging "Run, Mommy! Run!"

We turned around and headed back towards the car. We stopped to check out some pine cones. I showed how they grow on the trees and then they fall and spread seeds that grow into new trees. First he took the pine cones and kept jumping up, trying to get them back to the tree. Then he would repeat "Pine cone tree! Fall on ground. Seeds." Something may have sunk in. :) We ran the rest of the way back to the car, and honestly Simeon would have just kept going if I had let him. It took me quite a while to be able to run a mile, while Simeon can jog along with no effort at all. And he's two!

So my frustrating run turned into a sweet evening really spending time with my little boy, discovering the wonder of pine cones and the pure enjoyment of running. And was reminded of the impact my example is on my son. I would say that my run tonight was quite successful after all. Life is funny like that.

1 comment:

  1. That is such a sweet story, Rachel. Thanks for sharing. A lot of my motivation to exercise is to set a good example for my kids so they'll have healthy habits as they get older. Maybe it'll seem a little less hard for them if it's just a way of life? I don't know, we'll see :)

    ReplyDelete